Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Universal Studios Singapore

( Part II ) 


From Sci-Fi City, Ancient Egypt and The Lost World from my previous post, let's now head to the remaining zones in Universal Studios Singapore! The first three zones undoubtedly offer some exciting rides. However, the zones we've yet to explore - Far Far Away, Madagascar, Hollywood and New York - offer just relaxing and feel-good shows. Not only kids will enjoy but kids at heart as well! 


Far Far Away


Have you ever dreamed of living in a castle? Those we can see only from fairy tale books and movies where kings and queens, princes and princesses live? Well, you'll not be able to live in it but you can definitely see one in Far Far Away! This zone made me feel like I was in a far far away land in the magical world of fairy tales! I was definitely a happy princess!

Entrance to Far Far Away
If only I could live like a princess and live in a castle!
In front of this castle is the entrance to the Shrek-4D Adventure. See Shrek at the lower right side of the picture above? There it is! It is a show featuring the adventures of our green, big-nosed ogre friend, Shrek, as he tries to save the love of his life, Princess Fiona. The best part here is that it is a four-dimensional show! Not only you can watch it in 3D (as you might have already tried before in cinemas) but in 4D! It was my first time experiencing this kind of show so I was absolutely curious and excited! Here are some of the things that can be seen as we went  inside the castle to queue up for the show.

King and queen of the castle.
You're wanted!
Am I the only who thought it looks like the Facebook logo? Haha!

So, how's the show? It was incredible! We were led to a cinema-like place to watch the show with our OgreVision glasses on. There was nothing different from watching 3D movies until we felt the bumps, rocks and bounces! Indeed, we felt the action going on in the show! But wait, there's more! We also experienced air blasts and Donkey's sneeze?! Hahaha!

Another show in this zone is the Donkey LIVE. It is an interactive live show with Shrek's ultimate sidekick, Donkey. According to USS website, guests can sing along and even talk with Donkey! However, I can't remember why we didn't try this out!

Anyway, let's talk about the rides. Magic Potion Spin is an indoor miniature ferris wheel located past Fairy Godmother's Potion Shop. Enchanted Airways is a junior roller coaster that will tour you around the world of Shrek. We can definitely tell that they are for kids so we decided to skip riding them. We just decided to stroll around Far Far Away and take lots of pictures!

Welcome to our land!
Do you want to have a ride?
Please forgive my awkward pose here. Haha!


Madagascar


Just a step outside Far Far Away is the "tropical jungle" of Madagascar where the famous animal characters - Alex the Lion, Marty the Zebra, Gloria the Hippo and Melman the Giraffe - live! I doubt that you guys don't know them!

Grab a quick snack in this food court!

A comfort room? Haha!
We immediately saw King Julien's Beach Party-Go-Round which is a carousel with the Madagascar animal characters to ride on. Now that I am blogging about it, I realized that we didn't even take a look at it! Why?! I don't know! Probably because we thought it is just a simple carousel for kids? Now that I think about it, I can't remember when was the last time I hopped on a carousel! I just missed the chance to feel like a kid again! *sigh*


Madagascar: A Crate Adventure on the other hand is an indoor river ride. We hopped on a river boat and had a trip inside a dark tunnel. To be honest, I did not understand what the story of this ride was all about or maybe I just forgot about it. Hahaha! I was just focusing on the animal characters the whole ride. The boat passes by fast enough that I could not take clear pictures, and add to that the darkness as well.

Marty the Zebra enjoying his drink.
Poor Alex the Lion trapped in a spider web!

At the exit, we passed by the area where we can buy our pictures during the ride. Almost all the rides in USS offer them but we opted not to buy them simply because they are expensive! If I remember it correctly, they are around S$20 to S$30!

As we roam around some more, we started to notice the crowd of people building up. Then we finally realized that it's time for the Madagascar Boogie! This is the street entertainment for this zone where we were able to see the Madagascar characters perform live! They are all so adorable especially the penguins!

Show schedule of Madagascar Boogie. 
Complete cast of Madagascar Boogie!
After the show, we were told to queue up for a photo opportunity with these pals! However, since there's a lot of people, we were only able to take pictures with Alex the Lion (good thing King Julien photobombed!) and the penguins! The staff was kind enough to take pictures using our own camera because if not, we would have to pay for the pictures taken by their official photographer!
Can you spot the photobomber? Haha!
Oh! We seem to be affected by these penguins' wide smiles!

You might have noticed that we had a change of clothes. Because it was freakin' hot! 

Hollywood


This is the second to the last zone that we visited. They reproduced the home of the entertainment industry, none other than the Hollywood, in this covered place. I haven't been to Hollywood district so I had no idea what the place looks like. Aside from the landmark Hollywood sign situated on a mountain and the Walk of Fame, I didn't know anything else about the place. So when I caught a sight of this zone, I was amazed especially by the buildings' architecture. Each building has its own intricate design and details making it different from the others.


One of the buildings in Hollywood. 
Had a photo opportunity with Betty Boop along Hollywood Boulevard!
Mel's Drive-In is a popular classic diner drive-in serving all-American favorites. But what made them more popular is their dancing and singing waitresses whom I really adore! They sing enthusiastically and dance very gracefully. How I wish I can sing and dance like them! Hahaha! 

The lady in the rightmost is my favorite!
A classic car parked along the street? That only means a photo opportunity! Haha!

One of the classic yet cool cars in Mel's Drive-In.
After roaming around, we then decided to watch the Monster Rock at Pantages Hollywood Theatre. It is an indoor live rock-and-roll musical performed by the infamous Universal monsters such as Frankenstein, Dracula and the Mummy among others. But wait, they are not hideous creatures as you might think! You better see it for yourself!

It was an entertaining and lively musical for me as it does not only involve singing and dancing but special effects and a little bit of pyrotechnics as well. But do you know what the best part was? I was able to sit back and relax in an air-conditioned theater! I was so exhausted and tired from all the walking and standing for the whole day that sitting even just for 15 to 30 minutes meant a lot to me! I am sure I was not the only one who felt the same way because I even saw someone sleeping while the show was ongoing! Hahaha! It's a good thing I can still bear to watch the show unlike her. This is also why I told you from the last post that it's much better to visit the Hollywood and New York last because you can just relax in these zones. 
Take note of the show schedule!

Hollywood at night. 
Impressive Universal Studios Store.

New York


Last stop is the concrete jungle where dreams are made of - New York! It's alright, don't be ashamed to sing it! Hahaha! The busy and populous city of New York that we usually see in American movies was brought to life in this small zone in Universal Studios. Some of the most popular landmarks in New York can be seen here such as the New York Public Library.


The only ride in this zone is the Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase. It is a simple ride (definitely for kids) with your mission to help Elmo stop Macaroni to steal all the spaghetti on Earth! Hahaha! I am never a fan of Sesame Street because I find them creepy. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the ride a bit especially the part where I feel like I was flying in space with all the stars surrounding me. Hahaha!  



We were also able to watch The Rockafellas perform just in front of Public New York Library after our Spaghetti Space Chase ride. This dance group is composed of five men doing some hip hop dance. I must say that they dance pretty good! It was already halfway through their performance when we got to watch them though. A lot of people already gathered in front of them so we couldn't find a good place to sit in and take pictures. Then there was this portion when they asked three people from the audience to dance with them. Two of the volunteers were kids and one of them was a Malaysian or Indian guy. I was surprised that he was very participative knowing that there's a huge crowd who's going to watch him dance. I was expecting either he's a very good dancer or he's just really shameless. Turned out it's the latter! Hahaha! When he was asked to dance, he was just throwing his hands up in the air wildly while he shakes his body non-stop. He even did some hilarious acrobatics. It's a pity that I wasn't able to take his pictures! I must have enjoyed his performance! Hahaha! 

Last but not the least is Lights, Camera, Action! Hosted by Steven Spielberg which shows a real set in a boathouse by the harbor in New York City when it is about to be hit by a Category 5 hurricane. Superb special effects - wind gusts, blazing fire, pouring rain, breaking windows - made a calm set become catastrophic in an instant as it was furiously hit by a hurricane. 
Lights, Camera, Action! entrance.
Calm surroundings before the hurricane kicks in.
Fire exit staircase where action happens in American movies. Agree?
Streets of New York at night.

That's A Wrap!


So, that's a wrap of our trip to Universal Studios Singapore! I must say that I absolutely enjoyed our trip so much especially because it was my first time again in N years to visit an amusement park. One of things I love the most about USS is their diverse types of shows ranging from action-filled water shows to a monster-themed musical to a real-time movie production. I was quite disappointed though that we were not able to witness lots of meet and greets in each zones. I'm not sure whether our timing was not just right or there's really few meet and greets on weekdays. Well anyway, we will probably be visiting USS next time because surely there's still a lot more to watch out for!




Address: 8 Sentosa Gateway, 098269 (How to get here?)
Opening Hours: 10:00am to 07:00pm
Website: Universal Studios Singapore
Ticket Price Overview:
                   S$74 (adult: 13 to 59 years old)
                   S$54 (children: 4 to 12 years old)
                   S$36 (senior citizen: 60 years old and above)


No comments:

Post a Comment